Colossians 1:29 (NIV) To this end I strenuously contend with all the energy Christ so powerfully works in me.
- Is Christian living easy or hard? What does this verse teach us?
- Are you familiar with Biblehub.com? There is a website and an app. It is an easy way to look up one verse in several translations. How do various translations have the phrase, “strenuously contend.”
- What do we learn about Christian living from this phrase?
- Christian living is hard work. What exactly do we work at doing? What does the work look like? Can you give a specific example?
- Christian living is hard work. But, there is more to it than hard work. What more is there? What does the rest of the verse say?
- Jesus said His yoke is easy and His burden is light. This seems to say that following Christ is hard. How do you reconcile the two?
- “Christ so powerfully works in me.” What is that talking about?
- “Christ so powerfully works in me.” Is that talking about the Holy Spirit or something else?
- D. Greear says, ““Apart from me,” Jesus said, “you can do nothing” (John 15:5). Nothing is a big word, and I’m sure Jesus chose it intentionally. Without his divine presence living inside of us, we cannot truly accomplish even the first word of his commands. This means we cannot overcome sin without his presence. We cannot love others.” Do you agree? Can’t we do a little without Christ’s power?
- How can we pray for each other?
 Greear, J. D. 2014. Jesus, Continued…: Why the Spirit Inside You Is Better than Jesus Beside You. Grand Rapids, MI: Zondervan.